Founder Pallav Agarwala is a 6th generation tea grower from a premier tea producing family in Assam, India. His family founded the Tamulbari Tea Estate in Dibrugarh, Assam in 1872 becoming one of the first Indian owned tea companies in colonial British India.
In 1893 Tamulbari Tea Estate visited Chicago, Illinois, USA for the World’s Columbian Exposition, a seminal event in Chicago history, commemorated with a star on the city’s municipal flag. At this prestigious event, Tamulbari Tea received the award for “quality of leaf and infusion.”
PANG Organic Tea continues this dedication to quality, small batch, single source, organic, specialty, rare and fine teas from India’s northeast region.
A century after his ancestors won hearts and minds at the World’s Columbian Exposition, founder Pallav Agarwala came to Illinois for college, then returned to India to manage the family business Tamulbari Tea Estate.
In 1998, Pallav came back to Illinois to complete graduate studies, met his wife Neha Gill and settled in Chicago. In 2017 they launched PANG Organic Tea to introduce Chicago and the world to fine and rare specialty Assam Teas.
About Tea – Camellia Sinensis
- All tea comes from the plant Camellia sinensis, an evergreen indigenous to Southwest Asia. PANG Organic Tea is Camellia sinensis var. assamica
- There are four main groups of tea – black tea, oolong tea, green tea or white tea. Oxidation and processing methods after harvesting create these differences
- The tea plant is indigenous to southern China and northeast India
- The oldest tea growing regions of the world including India are still the worldwide leaders in tea production
- Tea is the 2nd most consumed beverage after water and considered the number one social drink in the world
- Tea has many health benefits and can be blended effectively with herbs, spices and even fruit to increase these benefits
- Fine and Rare Specialty Teas
- All our teas are sourced directly from northeast India, a region to which tea is indigenous
- Southern China and Assam are the only two regions in the world with native tea plants.
- All our teas are single source, organic, small batch and of the highest quality.